The following subjects are taught at the department: surgery, microsurgery, urology, pediatric surgery, plastic and reconstructive surgery with elements of microsurgery, maxillofacial surgery for students of 3-6 courses of the faculty, as well as English students, elective courses. Postgraduate training in the course of surgery, including endoscopic and maxillofacial surgery, training in clinical residency and graduate school.
The material and technical equipment of the department meets the standards and requirements for the departments of higher educational medical institutions of III-IV levels of accreditation. A number of textbooks, methodical recommendations, as well as materials on the following thematic areas have been published: new methods of treating diabetic foot, surgery of arteries and veins, all methods of laparoscopic operations.
The department performs scientific work: "Develop and improve new technologies in the diagnosis and surgery in patients with combined surgical pathology."
Areas of scientific work of the department are: hepatobiliary surgery, reconstructive urology, vascular surgery, diabetic foot surgery. During the existence of the department more than 700 works have been published and a large number of reports have been prepared at scientific and practical events of various levels, including international ones; 26 copyright certificates and patents were received; 8 doctoral dissertations and 14 candidate dissertations were defended, 2 candidate dissertations were completed. Due to the practical significance of scientific research, the results of treatment of patients with various surgical pathologies have been significantly improved.
Employees of the department regularly participate in conferences and congresses of various levels.
The department conducts medical work in medical institutions of the city. The main bases of the department are KMKL №1, where annually medical and consultative care is provided to 2500 patients, and 1800 surgical interventions.
History of the department
The Department of Surgical Diseases was established in 1993. The clinical base of the Department of Surgical Diseases is the surgical departments of general and vascular surgery and the Department of Purulent Surgery of Kyiv City Clinical Hospital.
The following disciplines are taught at the department: surgery; pediatric surgery, disaster medicine, oncology, urology.
The main areas of scientific activity of the staff of the department, headed by Professor VV Skiba are:
• development of new methods of surgical treatment of gastric ulcer and prevention of postoperative complications
• development of new modern means of forming biliodigestive and pancreatic-digestive anastomoses - SDA in pancreatic tumors
• development of new methods of early diagnosis of destructive forms of acute pancreatitis and their rational treatment
• development of new means of surgical correction of cosmetic defects using liposculpture, implant transplantation, laser surgery
• development of new methods of surgical treatment of ventral hernias in obese patients
• development of modern surgical technology in the treatment of thyroid pathology
• development of new methods of microwave resonance therapy for peptic ulcer disease and vascular disease.
• development of new methods of microvascular surgery
• development of methods of surgical treatment of occlusive-stenotic diseases of arteries in diabetes mellitus
• development of a pathogenetically sound algorithm for the diagnosis and treatment of diabetic foot syndrome
• development and substantiation of the method of segmental resections of the liver and prostatic access to the intrahepatic bile ducts
• development of methodological materials for study in medical institutions of higher education.
Edited by Professor VV Skiba in 2007 published a "Guide to the standards of medical manipulation techniques and practical skills in general surgery."